Pages

02 December, 2011

Blessings.

Patience and calm. They're new things for me. Almost foreign words. But step into my day. Let's say it's Monday, of all days. I'm flying solo.


It's 4:30 pm, nap time is over and the babies need to eat. We're using bottles this feeding, so I get those ready. Stick them on the coffee table, push it close to the couch so they're within reach when I sit down. Run upstairs, gently pick up one baby. One-handed, pick up the second. Sebastian squeals. Katharina lets out a sigh and buries her warm face in my chest. I could hold them like this forever. Hands-full, I carry them downstairs.
One on either side of me, their heads propped on my legs, I begin feeding. 30 minutes elapses and their bellies are full. Katharina stares into my face intently as if to say I know you're my mother, and I love you. Sebastian's eyes grow wide as he looks around the room. My heart melts.


Now they have their awake time. Often this is when things can grow hectic. As Katharina spits out her pacifier and Sebastian fills his diaper, dinner on the stove boils over. My cell phone rings. It's Peter calling. Then I get a text: Wanna FaceTime? Every bottle we own is now sitting in the sink begging to be washed, along with the many breast pump parts. The washer beeps once, letting me know the towels are clean and ready to be hung. It beeps again, just a reminder. I put the pacifier back in Katharina's mouth, stick her in her bouncy seat.  The washer beeps a third time as if to say get the towels out or they'll need washed twice more just to get rid of the soggy smell. I change Sebastian's diaper while bouncing Katharina with my foot. The soup, oh! the soup. Diaper-- changed. Katharina's staring around the room contentedly. She's spit out her pacifier again, but doesn't need it anymore. I smile, I hate those things anyway. I head to the kitchen (taking the dirty diapers sitting on the floor with me) and stub my toe on the stroller that's still in the hallway from our walk to the sea this morning. I grab the laundry and throw it in a basket. That'll remind me to hang it at nap time. I changed Sebastian too soon-- he's working on filling that clean diaper. I know because I can hear it from the kitchen. What a boy, I think.
I come back to the living room where my darlings are now happily waiting for me. Their bellies are full. They're so happy. Sebastian kicks his legs, Katharina smiles. I think, What awesome babies we have. I scoop them both up, situate ourselves on the couch, and pull Guess How Much I Love You off the shelf next to us. We read through it, their eyes everywhere but the pages. It's the thought that counts, and at least they can hear my voice, I think.
I think it's nap time, but I haven't even glanced at the clock, so I'm really not sure. It is. It's 6:00 and Peter's on his way home from a tutorial. Arms-full again, we head upstairs. I lay Sebastian on the bed on the other side of the room and hold Katharina's face close to mine, whisper a prayer in her little ear, and lay her down. She grunts and snuggles down into the mattress. I cover her with a swaddling blanket, stick her lovey under her arm and turn around to grab Sebastian. He's wide-eyed, scoping out the room. He kicks his legs as I pick him up, squeeze him tight and whisper a prayer in his ear, too. He's cozy now, I rub their backs one last time and recite the first 3 questions and answers of the Children's Catechism aloud as I leave the room. I do believe they're getting it. I pull the door shut. Open it again. Flip the light off. Done.


I smile and let out a little sigh as I head back down the stairs. I really do love this. And these children. And my husband. 


Oh, my husband. He's walking in as I pass the door. What a refreshing sight he is. His embrace is calming. With his kiss I can battle a million-and-one days like this. "Can I make dinner tonight?" My hero.


I could write about him forever, but back to those lessons.


Patience. Stress doesn't accomplish anything. I fail to trust when I lose it, and I lose precious moments. Priorities. Emails, text messages, dishes, laundry. They'll all be there after bedtime. But I have 30 days (less now that I'm writing this) with two-month old twins. 30 days to cherish them, to invest in them, to teach them, to love on them. To grow with my husband, to fall even more in love with him. Then those days are gone; a fleeting month. Finished. How did I serve my husband? How did I train my children? What did I accomplish? How did I love? 


This is my life, and it's full. I feel as though I'm bursting at the seams. I fall in bed each night joyful and exhausted. I am blessed.

12 comments:

  1. I ask myself this question every day: "How does she do everything so well?" You're such an example to me, because you've shaped and rounded out yourself so well. You're experienced in all sorts of things like food, baking, animals, marriage, Christianity, reading, editing essays, writing! Your writing is beautiful! I feel all warm and fuzzy after reading this post because it's such a blessing to see other people blessed. And I know I see your life every day right now, but I see it from my perspective and not yours, so reading it right now seems so new. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sweet, Angela. You are an inspirations to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely. I really enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are so cute! I love how they seem so perfect. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did you know I needed to hear that? Thanks for the reminder about the important things on the "To-Do" list :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post, sister! <3 I hope I can have such joy even when life gets crazy. I know sometimes I tend to just stress out, instead of enjoy the moment. Thanks for the reminders!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That last comment was from Andrea. :)

    I love you all. I pray for you daily. I wish I could be there to help you with the diapers and dishes. But just know I think of you multiple times a day and can't wait to meet them. :)

    <3<3

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are an inspiration even to your mom. I can't wait to see you all. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was a beautiful post. I love your writing. And I too think if you as an inspiration. So much on your plate and you have the greatest attitude about it. Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was the best post I have read. It was truly lovely. I love and miss you all so much! -Love Tirzah.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the post as well as you all. Love, Tirzah

    ReplyDelete
  12. Angela, this post is beautiful! I cannot wait to meet my precious pretend niece and nephew ;) Skype and pictures just isn't the same *sniffs* 5 months!!!
    Love you all!!!

    ReplyDelete