Pages

18 October, 2012

The Visionary.

I was sitting up straight, cross-legged in the middle of the bed and his eyes were gently, seriously, piercing mine. He named a few things he hopes to accomplish in this life, all great things that won't come easily. And then he said:

"I may not be able to accomplish them, but if Sebastian does, or Katharina, then they are still being accomplished, and that is what matters-- not that I myself am the one to do it. That's being a kingdom-builder."

There's the planting of the seed, and then there is the sowing of the crop we may never witness in our lifetime. It's seeing the things that are to be done. Having the vision, then planting it, and releasing the weight of the harvest to our next generation. Peter is all about the next generation.

And he's a visionary with a vision that far surpasses anything I could have ever imagined to accomplish on this earth. But together, he's confident we can be used for great things, and if not us, then our children, who will pass these dreams down to our grandchildren. And the legacy begins. That is why he takes fatherhood so seriously.

He was at the sea and called me from the end of the pier, the fierce wind blowing into the phone, I could barely make out what he was saying. But this I heard: "We need to start a book, a bucket list of sorts, of things that we hope to do, places we would like to go, things we want to accomplish, things we hope to change, all before we die. There are too many things to just keep mental notes."

He's inspired when he's out there. The deep, dark sea tossing waves up and over the edge of the rocks beneath his feet. He comes home with wet loafers and soggy socks. He's happiest when he is out there, on days when the skies are heavy and overcast, when the sea is mad, the wind, angry. He has taken me out there before, and points at the horizon-- where the grey sky meets the magnificent waters and it looks like the earth drops off. He tells me about another great plan he's thought of, and how the children and I are a vital part in it. In fact, he says it cannot be accomplished by him without us.

And by grace, we are enabled. I am blessed to toil and struggle and sow this vision alongside him, wherever life takes us. I'm thankful for him, this man with great plans and an ever-rolling mind. There is something terribly attractive about a man with a multi-generational vision, and the reality I sometimes cannot grasp-- that he is my husband. What a beautiful thing.

1 comment: