Pages

11 January, 2013

Apple cinnamon bars.

This cookbook was a gift, and a great one at that! On average, I flip through this 2-3 times a week. The photos are bright and beautiful and just reading the recipes makes my mouth water.



These bars had been on my mind, and Peter works two doors down from the health food store. After work yesterday he stopped in and picked up the ingredients we didn't have at home.


Apple Cinnamon Bars from Cornelia Guest's Simple Pleasures

2 cups organic unsweetened almond milk
1 1/2 cups organic steel-cut oats (note: we could not find steel-cut oats in these parts, so I substituted organic, large rolled oats)
1/2 cup chopped pecans (I used walnuts)
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup ground flaxseeds
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 Pink Lady apples, cored and grated (no need to peel)

1. Preheat oven to 350˚F.
2. Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.
3. Transfer to foil-lined 9-inch square baking pan (my note: My brother wanted these thinner, so I used a large cookie sheet/jelly roll pan. I am sure they would be divine thicker as well); press down mixture and smooth out top.
4. Bake until firm and golden brown (about 1 hour).
5. Let cool in pan.
6. Cut into squares and serve warm or at room temperature.

And here is what's left of them:


This measly plate for three. After taste-testing last night, the guys took some on their weekend trip down to London, and the big kids and I had some for breakfast this morning. I doubt these stragglers will see the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment