Pages

02 March, 2011

Again!?






I'll start this post with a picture. An unbelievable one.








Yes, that's two babies. Look again. I do all the time.

Yesterday we had our first prenatal appointment. I am so glad Peter came. Imagine to see that without my husband! The whole appointment was a little weird for him, with everything they were doing to and asking me. But then at the ultrasound it started to get really good. I mean, really good.

It only took the midwife a couple seconds to move the probe around then she actually laughed out loud. "Hah! You've got twins!" My heart was racing and I remember needing to catch my breath before responding. "You're kidding, right? What? You've got to be kidding!"

She wasn't. And there they are. 

My midwife scheduled a big ultrasound after my appointment yesterday and so we went this morning to have that done. This doctor predicted a "more accurate" due date and assessed the pregnancy more thoroughly than the other [above] ultrasound photos could.

Here's what we know:
they're fraternal and each have their own sacs, and will have their own placentas eventually.
he gave me a later due date (10.24).
their heartbeats are strong and steady.
they look stinkin' cute already.

I'm having a hard time converting the scanned images into a format that I can upload to Blogger (computer illiterate), but when Peter gets home, I'll have him help me so you all can see their individual photos. Baby A and Baby B, that is.

SO CUTE!!
_____________________________________________________
And for my sister, and my own enjoyment in later years:

How far along? According to the doctor today that I didn't like (for more reasons than the predicted DD) 6 weeks, 2 days. 
Total weight gain/loss: z e r o

Maternity clothes? Not yet, but I've been wanting to since about week 3 or 4 and now I finally understand why!
Stretch marks? I would hope not!
Sleep: On and off miserable. I hate sleeping on my side unless I'm against Peter, but I do like a pillow between my knees.
Best moment this week: the ULTRASOUND! 
Movement: Not yet.
Cravings: naval oranges. I've had about 16 in the past 4 days.
Gender guesses: Peter: two boys. Me: one boy, one girl
Labor Signs: NO! Fortunately.
Belly Button in or out? innie.
What I miss: tanning. And an occasional glass of wine, I'm not gonna lie.
What I am looking forward to: holding these two precious little bundles in my arms!
Weekly Wisdom: Pfft, I'm no pro.
Milestones: first ultrasound down revealing more than exciting news! Now to planning birth for multiples. . . overseas.


After my appointment with the midwife we went downstairs to the lab to have some blood drawn for initial prenatal blood work.  I went in by myself because it was such a small space and I didn't want Peter and Joyce to be in the way. But boy, how I wished my man was in there with me.

Last time I had blood drawn was a year ago for our life insurance. A paramedic came to our house, drew a vial of blood, and left. I was white as a ghost when he left, but I survived. This time around was not the same.

The doctor pulled out not one or two, not even three, but FIVE vials to FILL with blood. That's when I freaked out. "Um, do you have a pediatric needle? Do you have a pediatric needle?" I proceeded to tell him about how the paramedic last time used a pediatric needle and how I got really sick. Then I started breathing really quickly. He calmed me and said, "You're not gonna faint, are ya?" I told him it was very possible that I would. Then I asked, "Are all those bottles for me? And are you filling them?" "Yes, its only 5." "Are you sure I can do that much? I'm pretty small. Are you sure I have that much blood to give? Are you going to fill them? To the top? I'm small, do I have that much blood??" 

I was sweating like a hog and asking a million questions a minute.

Then he told me to look away and tell him something. So, we talked about how I was pregnant with twins, and he told me about his two-year old son. And then I got really sick. He was actually done drawing the blood before I knew it, but it only got worse after that. I said, "Do I look really pale?"

I told him I felt really light-headed and he brought me back some cranberry juice to sip on. And my head began to spin so fast I couldn't keep it up, and my arm was throbbing from the needle, then I said I was going to throw up. Poor doctor got a trash can and just in time, too. I puked three times in the trash can while another doctor quickly closed the curtains around me and then held my hair back. I remember him saying, "Save her hair!" Then I looked up with vomit all over my face and said, "How do I look now?"

I apologized over and over and over and, after regaining my strength, I went to the waiting room where Peter and Joyce were waiting for me. I can't imagine the laughter that filled that room after I had left. His words, "five is nothing, next time you'll probably have nine", were ringing in my ears.

Bring on labor and delivery. Hah.


-A.H.

3 comments:

  1. You have no idea how incredible EXCITED (not a big enough word) I am for you. I was praying for twins!


    xoxooxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. O happiness!!!! (kind of a random thing to say, but that was my first thought when reading this).

    Love you!!!!!!!!!!! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I TOTALLY freak out when I have to give blood too, so you are not alone. I never threw up, but I used to pass out and have to have smelling salts and sip orange juice all the time. Before I got married I had to have a test for a blood clotting thing that my dad has, and the nurse brought over 9 vials!!! I was totally freaking out, but she told me that it's still SUCH a small amount of blood that it really doesn't affect your body at all, and it was all in my head. She had me lay back when I was doing it (which I've always sat up before), and now I always just ask to lay down when I get my blood taken, and that seemed to do the trick. Now I usually just lay for a few seconds after they are done, and I'm fine. I'll pray for you that you will get used to it. It's such a horrible thing, and I totally know the anxiety!!

    ReplyDelete