Pages

03 May, 2011

16 weeks

A little over 16 weeks now, and my uterus is measuring 21 weeks. That explains the pain I'm in.


These munchkins are going to double their size in the next couple of weeks, and their little hearts are currently pumping 25 quarts of blood daily!

Our midwife is anticipating and hoping for close to 5 pounders that will go home with us right away, and that's been our prayer as well. 5 pounds sounds just right (imagine carrying 10 pounds of pure baby, plus other. . . stuff!).

I had been thinking they were the size of avocados (Peter thinks it's creepy that I compare them to fruit. . .), thanks to The Bump, but was happy to learn at our appointment today that they are even bigger than that!

Speaking of appointment, I'm going to get all picture crazy on you now. I'll do my best at explaining these few, for those of you that, like me, can't read an ultrasound picture to save your life (unless it's explained), but it was hard to get and really good looking shots because they wouldn't stop moving.

Again, sorry for the distortion. They looked bad when I transferred them to the computer, and on here they look even worse.
meet Baby B.
Head on right.

and meet Baby B's teeny feet (far left).
In the middle on an angle you can see the membrane, now fairly thin looking,
separating the two.

My favorite picture today, here's Baby A.
This one seems to be the bully of the two and kept
jumping to head-butt its sibling. . . first borns.

Here's a little glimpse of what they look like now:


And lastly, a 16 week picture (forget my ridiculous face, please):



We find out what they are in 2 weeks. Yes, TWO WEEKS. But, who's counting? That will also mark the almost-half-way point for us (if we make it all the way. . .highly unlikely). We have pretty confident gender guesses, but only time will tell. As a reminder (what is this, middle school?), stay tuned for the gender announcement shots by the one and only Ashley Kate.

And now, you knew it was coming. I haven't done this in a month or so, so I'll add it now.

How far along? 16 weeks (plus a couple days).
Total weight gain/loss: +3 from last appointment. 
Maternity clothes? not entirely. I'm still most comfortable in my regular shirts, though my maternity pants are a must.
Stretch marks? no.
Sleep: it has gotten much better, praise God. I've been waking up occasionally with aches and cramps, but what else can I expect with a body changing so quickly?
Best moment this week: probably seeing them again, bouncing around and kicking, punching and head-butting each other, and being reassured that everything looks more than great.
Movement: more and more pronounced, but still no kicking or punching. I was told by my midwife to expect those really soon.
Cravings: nothing really, and I am grateful for that, or at least that it's not something horribly unhealthy. 
Gender guesses: both of us: one girl, one boy (in that order).
Labor Signs: no.
Belly Button in or out? innie, but oh my goodness it seriously looks like it's about to pop completely! Peter even noticed one day without me ever saying anything to him. . .
What I miss: nothing really right now, probably because I'm not craving wine or a long island iced tea. :)
What I am looking forward to: uh, 2 weeks, for sure.
Weekly Wisdom: ?
Milestones: making it this far into the second trimester, scheduling the anatomy ultrasound, finally looking pregnant. . .
Other:  heartbeats today- 155 and 132. Hmm. . .

Off to read Anna Karenina and take a nap . . .

Peace & love,

-A.H.

1 comment:

  1. I was aching to get off of work all day so I could get home and read this! :)
    Love the picture of Baby A, and Baby B's tiny feet. :) They're so so adorable.
    Did Peter finally change his mind on gender guesses? I thought he was sure
    that they were two boys...

    ReplyDelete