Pages

28 May, 2011

Baby genders!

It's. . . a boy and a girl!






More pictures to come soon!


Baby A's profile. Our sweet son.

Baby B's profile. Our precious daughter.

Baby B waving.
See her tiny fingers?


How far along? 19 1/2 weeks.
Total weight gain/loss: +4 from last appointment, but I haven't weighed myself in a while. . .could be more.
Maternity clothes? some

Stretch marks? nope.
Sleep: not terrible. but I love pillows.
Best moment this week: ANATOMY ULTRASOUND!
Movement: yes, yes!

Cravings: well, last night I wanted grilled cheese so bad I thought I was going to throw up. TMI? Sorry. 
ACTUAL Genders: one sweet, sweet little boy and a precious baby girl.
Labor Signs: no.

Belly Button in or out? still out-ish.
What I miss: nothing that I can think of, but yesterday I was trying to remember what I looked like pre-pregnancy, though it's not something I miss today.
What I am looking forward to: holding my baby boy and sweet girl in my arms in just a few months.
Weekly Wisdom: nothing this week.

Milestones: almost 20 weeks, and over half-way to full term.

_______________________________________________

Today I was humbled once again. I spent quite a few days last week fretting over not seeing the obstetrician I wanted to see, wondering if he'd really give us an accurate departure date, or if he'd have a sweet bedside manner and be someone I would even want to talk to.

When the nurse called to reschedule my appointment and told me his name, I started playing through this awful 20 week ultrasound in my head: he's not going to shake my hand, or even introduce himself. He won't close the door or ask if we have any questions. He'll stand in the doorway like the other doctor did and say everything looks fine, then walk out. And his ultrasound tech will be just the same, not even excited that there's two babies, not point out the different parts of their bodies, and boringly announce what they are. Great.

When I called Peter crying about this appointment I'd dreamed up he told me I needed to chill and trust that we were seeing that very doctor for a reason. And so I tried. . .but I still kept wondering if it would be just an awful experience.

So, after the ultrasound, with a tech who was friendly and did actually point out each and every limb, bone, heart chamber and section of the brain, in walked this adorable, middle-aged Middle Eastern man. He first gave us a huge smile, shook both our hands and enthusiastically said, "Well, congratulations!" He talked about the different things we had seen, and how their brains, spines and hearts all looked fantastic. Then he assured us that the chances of either baby having Downs Syndrome, based on my age and the babies' measurements and appearances, was 1 in 1,000.

We were able to tell him our plans and ask his opinion on a departure date for St. Andrews, to which he replied, "Well that's just great! You'll have such a great time. You'll have a great time. How great!" He went on to rant and rave of the UK's medical system and told us one of his sons was born in England, and they more than took care of his wife and new son. Turns out he's visited Scotland himself and loves the place. Does anyone not?

And so, I felt completely awful that I envisioned such a terrible experience. He was the greatest. And when Peter said he was getting started late on undergrad, he said, "Now, it's never too late!" We all laughed at how we were starting our family early and education late, but he thought it was great-- "Well, why not?!"

And so, we had a great OB, and an even greater ultrasound. The Lord answered our prayers once again that there be only good news at this appointment. We have been blessed with one strong, healthy son and one strong, healthy daughter (though I hope her brother is always a bit stronger ;)).

As my husband said, we're so grateful-- we got everything we wanted.




With thankful hearts,
Angela & Peter


5 comments:

  1. Yay!!! :-D I have a niece and a nephew! Love the pictures, too. Can't wait to see the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHHHHEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

    ....CUTEST TWINS EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Angela and Peter! I am so happy for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved how you craved grilled cheese so much you thought you were going to throw up. That made me laugh... and that's so wonderful about the doctor! Technician! Whatever he was! I love situations like that! And it's true, you guys are getting everything you want... thankfully you have to work hard for it too, so you can at least have honest satisfaction in it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. AHHHHHHH!!!!!!! ANGELA!!!!!!! I'M SO HAPPY!!!!!!!!- Carolyn

    ReplyDelete