Pages

15 July, 2011

Return of the green drink.

We recently welcomed green drinks back into our lives. We never stopped making them for any reason except that it was too much work in the midst of moving, packing, settling, planning, living-in-your-in-law's-basement-ing. But our kick's returned, and oh how we've missed them!

My new recipe (which eagerly counteracts the side-effects of Slow-FE :)) is intended to boost my iron levels in a way more natural than popping that small red pill every day.

Since iron-rich foods should be consumed with citrus for ultimate absorption, the base for this one is good ol' OJ.  I like to get all my green drink ingredients at Whole Foods because I know I can trust each thing they carry on their shelves, including juices.

Give it a shot if you wish:

8 oz. OJ
4 oz. apple juice
2-3 C organic kale
1-2 C organic spinach
1 banana
1/2 C frozen strawberries
2 C other fruits (this morning I used cantaloupe for a couple servings of yellow fruit and more vit C)

This makes anywhere between 28 and 32 oz, depending on how good or bad I am at eyeballing my greens. Either way, I chug it all in the morning.

Think of it, my daily requirement of fruits, and almost all veggies, in a glass (or 2 or 3).

And, surely I can't be the only person that wakes up from an afternoon nap ravenous for something sweet?

1 C Greek yogurt
1/2 C frozen berries + fresh fruit of your choice
splash of water/juice

Delish.

One last thing: I don't add the yogurt to my green drinks because I've read numerous articles on separating dairy and iron-rich foods for better iron absorption. I don't yet have an opinion on how true this is, but until I can do my own research, I'm keeping them separate. (That also means I can't have kale powder on my chocolate milkshake :)).

No comments:

Post a Comment