Pages

11 December, 2010

Our new room. Again.

I think I rearrange and redecorate our bedroom every Friday when I wash the sheets. I think my reasoning is this: while the bed is naked, I might as well see how else I can place this furniture. I'll probably like it better.


Those of you that know me really well, or talk to my husband often, or visit our home weekly know that this doesn't just happen once in a while around here. Our living room has been set up in approximately 31 various ways in just less than 1 year. We've also had our bedroom in nearly every room of the house except the "blue room" simply because it is just too small for our furniture. We are known to buy furniture (thrifted, of course) or find free pieces, bring it home and find it a home here, then several weeks later realize it's "just not us" and to the curb it goes. Some people are lucky to hit our trash at just the right week. If you like trash-picking, that is.

Though no one would ever guess it, I even think my arms are a bit stronger from carrying (or pushing or dragging) furniture all over the place. I imagine I'm quite a sight moving furniture all over the place.

I generally find inspiration when my husband is gone. I think it's because I like his responses when he comes home to a completely redecorated home. Fortunately for me, he generally likes it.

Because yesterday was Friday and the sheets were being washed, our bedroom got thrown around a bit. Here's how our room looks now (still without those pictures on the walls. . . Soon, I promise). Along with ordering and hanging the photos, I'd like to eventually add a natural-colored area rug, purchase the floral-y curtains I found, an earthy-grey throw and a potted fern for some extra life.

Peter's style (and is becoming mine)-- neutral, earthy tones
(hence the branches, antiqued furniture, etc) with a bit of what I like-- silky
 hydrangeas and magnolias from my wedding
 bouquet and red satin pillows. And of course lots of candles. Those are
something I'll never tire of -- and I don't think my husband
will either ;)

Finally got Peter's dresser done. . .

Peter did eventually get the little nook he has been
needing for quite some time. And it's nice
and close to me when I'm sleeping at 2AM,
 so I'm happy about it.

I'm liking the bed on a slight angle because it adds more
 dimension to the room so everything's not symmetrical
 and centered on walls.


Some people wonder why I spend so much time, money and energy on this house we're renting. First, because it needs it. But also because it's what I love to do; it keeps me cheery and creative (not to mention the calories I burn shuffling things from room to room), plus I know I'll always need a niche in life-- children or no children. Last spring I thoroughly considered interior design school way out in California, and that dream just may be revisited someday. . .

Like a lot of people, I think a lot of things. They're usually little things: does this bookcase make this wall look short? How can I make this long room look like two? Should even think about eating this third piece of chocolate? Should I text Peter and tell him to bring home more? Why is the dog racing in circles upstairs? Should I take him for a walk? I even catch myself thinking sometimes: did Adam and Eve have bellybuttons?




-A.H.

2 comments:

  1. Girl, I la-ove what you've done with the place! :)

    hehe.. you make me laugh.. I have wondered if Adam and Eve had bellybuttons, then I think.. if they did, and they were the first people, created in God's image.. does God have a bellybutton?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know one of the first things Mare told your dad was not to come home and sit down it the dark. The furniture might be where it was when you left. You get it rightly, sorry Peter!

    ReplyDelete