Pages

09 November, 2010

Delighting in the now.

It's funny how I surprise myself with the immense length of time between posts, then blame it on my busy life, yet when I open my computer I seem to have nothing to blog about. Heh.

Here's something- for part of last week and a few days this week I've been working at the "chocolate factory" (it's not really anything like Charlie's, except that there's chocolate everywhere) that Peter works at. They are getting ready to deliver a huge shipment (and by huge I mean thousands of truffles and candied orange peel and apricots) and needed another set of hands in the kitchen. Yes, in the kitchen. So, I've learned how to made ganache for truffles, I've learned how important temperatures are when it comes to making fine candies. I've learned all about an enrober and understand why it was just easier for Lucy to eat the candies coming off the conveyor belt.

Really, it's been a lot of fun. You can kind of walk around eating chocolate. As as far as making it, I've truly never been covered in more cocoa than after I've worked a full day here. There's chocolate all the way up my arms and in places you didn't know it could get to...

We kind of hope Bill, the owner, hands the business down to us when he dies. (Hah). He imports chocolate and other ingredients from France and ships his candies all over the world. His parents came over from Greece in 1930-something and his dad began the chocolate business shortly after coming over. They lived in an apartment above the store and chocolate basically ran their life. Bill's dad died at 103 and Bill then took over, with his mother who is quickly approaching her last years (she's another story for another time).

All that to say I'm headed there again today...
_________________________________________________________________

On another note, I have been off of Facebook for a number of weeks now and don't miss it at all. No offense to you all that document every minute of your lives there.

I'm a happier person, really. I didn't realize how much time was invested in it until I had that time back. The 5-10 minutes every day, twice a day, made me feel miserable about how I was spending my time. That's why I am a happier person.

I left for many, many reasons. I'm not saying I'll never go back. In fact, I probably will someday. Eventually. I'm really in no hurry.
_________________________________________________________________

I'm really loving life. Its always crazy, and it's always so good.

I think contentment is an ongoing process, kind of like sanctification.

I'm learning to truly trying to savor every minute of it and where I am. Like the post I wrote a while back about smelling the flowers... I've sort of failed that challenge recently. I make little issues huge ordeals. I think about the past and what I didn't do, about the future and what I don't have.

But what about the now? I think I forget about it sometimes.

It is wonderful, perfect for me because it is where the Lord has us. Difficult, trying, sometimes stressful, but we push on, confident that there is a prize at the end of the road.  We're confident that this is the way we are to be traveling, despite its hardships.

In fact, I'm pretty sure we should be walking this path because it is hard. It keeps our eyes fixed and our grips tightened.


-A.H.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the wonderful reminders, dear friend! I love your thought of contentment as an ongoing process.. Godliness with contentment is truly great gain! What inexpressible joy it brings..

    p.s. The Chocolate Factory sounds like a blast! :)

    ReplyDelete