Pages

03 May, 2010

The first three weeks.

I've never wanted to be one of those bloggers that rambles on and on, only to get their point across, paragraphs later, to a very confused reader. Maybe mine will turn out that way, maybe it's just the way I write. Or maybe not. Oh dear, I'm afraid I've already begun.

By no means do I consider myself an expert, nor can I offer solutions to marital problems; we still are "newlyweds" after all (and will continue to be for at least another year or two!). I only know that after the bridal shower and bachelorette party and wedding day and honeymoon bliss, things were not quite as I expected.
The first several weeks of our marriage consisted of a lot of arguments. I mean, a lot. These were disagreements that we could sit down and discuss together, but they arose so often! My biggest struggle was loneliness, or possibly just boredom, and I often took that out on him. Having gone quickly from a busy family of 11 to a stay-at-home wife, things were very different. When Peter left for work the Monday after we got back from our honeymoon, tears filled my eyes. I remember thinking, I thought getting married meant we would be together all the time, forever. However unrealistic and just plain ridiculous I knew that was, part of me wished it to be true.

I would have days where I would harden myself to my circumstances, grow bitter towards my husband, tell myself I could do it all alone, and pretend as though I was enjoying life as it were. Sometimes still, I struggle with those thoughts telling me I am too dependent. Too needy. But then I am reminded that Peter is my earthly protector, my head and truly, my lover. Therefore, I am not convicted that any of the thoughts, feelings or yes, obsessions, I have for him are wrong. I do rely on him, for nearly everything. He is my leader, my protector and provider, and my laughter and joy. I do not idolize him, but I have found truth and love in submission, and when a husband fulfills his duties, the wife feels gratification and completion.

And truly, as time has gone on, I've certainly discovered ways to keep myself busy. The more days I spend at home, the more I find myself falling in love with certain things. Yes, several part-time jobs - like nannying and painting - have come my way also. But it really is rewarding to have loaves of bread cooling on the counter when my husband gets home. I love to rearrange our furniture, trying to find the best way to use every space. And, the Lord has been working in me. I am encouraged because I know the hours Peter and I spend apart every day only draw me closer to him. At the end of a day I find I have more love, more gratitude, more respect, for him as my husband.

A.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment